Happy Sunday Fit Family-
This week’s pep talk is all about the blues…
As the weather changes and the nights get longer more and more clients tell us that they feel kind of blah.
Some even go into hibernation mode…
Friends, we know that exercise improves mood but sometimes it isn’t quite enough.
A lot of us in the Northern hemisphere become deficient in Vitamin D and stay deficient even through the summer.
Getting a good quality D Vitamin supplement can help.
It can also be VERY helpful to get outside in the daylight as much as possible.
According to the interwebs, here are some top tips to beat winter blues:
8 Scientifically-Backed Ways to Beat the Winter Blues
- Make your environment brighter. When possible sit near the light and if needed an light box (an aritifical light) can be helpful as well.
- Eat smarter- be sure to get plenty of protein and fat but include some healthy carbs too.
- Simulate dawn- time your lights or buy a ‘sunrise alarm clock’ to help simulate the rising sun even when it’s cloudy outside!
- Exercise- get yourself to Boot Camp but whenever possible pursue outside activities too.
- Turn on the tunes- cheerful, upbeat music helps. Sure it might be dark at 5pm but it isn’t time to go to bed yet! Nor is it ideal to come home and only curl up on the couch.
- Plan a vacation- if you can, get out of town once during the fall/ winter to somewhere warm.
- Help others – you might not be the only one experiencing some Winter Blues – invite a friend over for coffee, do some Fall clean-up in a neighbors yard or volunteer at an event to help those in need prepare for the cold weather.
- Get outside. It may be overcast or wet but the leaves are beautiful at this time of year!
Enjoy your Fall, Fit Fam!
Megan K and Team